Questions You Should Ask
Receiving Solace in addition to cremation services
There are a number of questions that every family should ask of a potential provider. Also, in order to determine the direction your family should go, there are questions to ask yourself.
Questions to ask yourself
- What type of service arrangements do I prefer?
- Simple Direct Cremation (no services)
- Direct Cremation with a Service
- Memorial service
- Celebration of life
- Graveside or niche-side service
- Private services at home or other place
- Informal memorial gathering
- Traditional Funeral followed by Cremation
- Church funeral
- Funeral home chapel
- Type of casket (see “ABOUT CREMATION CASKETS”)
- What type of cremation provider do I prefer? (see “CHOOSING A CREMATION PROVIDER”)
- Traditional funeral home
- Non-Traditional provider
- How important is the cremation cost to me? (see “CREMATION COSTS”)
Questions to ask a potential provider
- What is the charge for cremation?
- Before calling, make certain you know exactly what you want – refer to the above list of questions you should ask yourself
- Make certain that they have included all of the charges that are required for the type service you want (many providers will attempt to “sell” you extra products and/or services that you may not need because they are trying to make additional profit – be specific and be direct)
- Where does the cremation take place?
- On-site cremation facility
- If off-site, are there extra transportation charges
- Who owns the cremation facility?
- Joint ownership with the provider you are questioning
- Outsourced to a third party
- Where will the body be held until the cremation is performed?
- Many providers would prefer that you do not know where the body is held because you would probably not approve
- Each time custody of the remains is transferred the risk of problems increases - Once again, this could all be outsourced to a third party